Useful Links & Tips for Bloggers (Part II)

Blog Sweet Blog
After the success that my previous post "Useful links and tips for Bloggers" had, 
I thought I should share with you some more links and tips that you may find interesting,
or even more if you've been wondering "Gosh... how do I do that?".
So, here we go...

1. OPENING LINKS IN A NEW TAB OR WINDOW

When you add a link to your text, there is a small white box at the left bottom where it says "open this link in a new window". Always tick that box so when someone clicks on the link, it will automatically open in a new tab or window, and this means that they won't have to leave your page and can return back!

2. NO-REPLY EMAILS

I've noticed many bloggers lately who comment on my posts and I'm not able to respond back to them, as they have set their profile as no-reply. Of course I could reply under the post comment,  but this way the commenter will not get my reply right in his/her e-mail inbox and they'll have to come back to the specific post and check if there is a reply. Too fussy! So please go to your Dashboard - Edit Profile, and make sure to tick the box where it says "show my e-mail address" and then click "Save". So simple and yet important!

3. HOW TO CHANGE YOUR FAVICON
You know this orange B that shows up next to your blog title? This is the default Favicon of blogger. If you've noticed I've placed a pink "S" which is characteristic of my blog. You can easily replace it with any image you choose, so that you'll have your own unique Favicon. Let's see how: first of all find the image you like and save it to your computer. The image should be square, not more than 100KB and to be titled as ".ico" at the end, otherwise it won't be accepted. Hmmm... did I scare you? You don't need to be scared, because now there is the  Favicon Generator that does everything for you! You just choose your preferred photo from your computer and it's converting it automatically in to an ".ico" image! You then have to copy and paste this new file somewhere into your computer and then you Go to Dashboard - Design - Edit Favicon - Choose file (choose your pic) - Save. Easy peasy right?
Moreover, if you believe this conversion thing is a hassle (which is not I assure you!), you could also select a pre-made ".ico" favicon from various sites, such as:  this one or this one.

4. HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN SIGNATURE

This is a very easy one! There is a site called My Live Signature. You don't have to register or anything like that, just click the "Click here to start" button and you'll be given four different options on how to create your own signature. You just choose the one that suits you best! I've created mine from the creation wizard which give you some specific fonts, sizes and color to  choose from. Important note: do not forget to tick the transparent box at the end of these steps! Then you copy the signature's html and you go to your Dashboard -  Settings - Formatting - Post Template. There you paste the html and from now on it will always automatically show up in every new post that you create!

5. ARE YOU A BLOGSPOT.COM? CHECK YOUR BROWSER!

Blogspot blogs, Google Chrome browser and Gmail are three things that go together! Google owns Blogger, Gmail and Chrome are owned by Google too, so they're very well connected. If you use the whole package you'll see that everything functions much faster and smoother. I used to have Internet Explorer and a yahoo mail and I faced a lot of problems. Some times I couldn't see the blogs I follow on my Dashboard, and I got an error when fetching stats and it was all related to the browser! I then switched to Google Chrome browser opened a gmail acount and everything is now much easier. Another plus is that whenever I receive a new mail in my inbox, I get a notification at bottom right of my computer informing me so! Love that!

So guys, I was thinking of something... if you have any questions on how to do this or that, just send me an e-mail so that I know exactly what worries you and write a relevant post about it. That is, if I know the answer of course (I'm not a blogging guru you know...LOL), I've just spent many many hours trying to figure out things and stuff about blogging, all by myself, so I know at least the basic stuff. (Don't tell anyone, but when I was thinking of creating my own blog, I didn't know what a "url" is....!!!)


* Sharing this post with these link parties and this. Check them out for a ton of crafts and projects! *


72 comments:

  1. Wow, am I glad I found you! thanks so much for the tips...I just made a signature...it was fun!!

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don´t think you really realize how useful this is.

    www.tatianadoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Olga, thanks for the great tips, once again.
    The favicon is something I had wondered about a couple of times, going to check it out now !
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. Thank you so much for sharing. I would love for you to hook this up to my new linky party:
    http://creatingyourhome.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-it-yourself-mondays-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the Favicon directions. It was so easy. enJOYed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very helpful advice! I'll be pinning this for later when I have time to fix some things on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great tips! I wish more people would include their email in their profiles, too. I am always sad when I see I can't email them back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tips! As a new blogger, this is gold for me! :o) Do you happen to know how to make the Follow By Email widget work? I've added the widget to my page and nobody has ever gotten my posts. :o( Thanks again for the info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tips Olga definetly goingto put them to use ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love finding tips for blogger. Thanks so much for the great information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Σ'ευχαριστούμε πολύ. Ειδικά το νούμερο 3 το έψαχνα.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tips! I also went back and read part 1; they were both very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That check box is so helpful! I had no idea it was that easy! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is great. Love what you are sharing. Great big WOW. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips! I'm pinning this to my bloggy board :) New follower too! Found you via It's Overflowing link up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! Thanks for sharing!! I am visiting from Southern Lovely and I am a new follower! Hope you have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Olga, it is so kind of you to share all of these tips that you had to learn the hard way. These are some great tips! Thanks so much for sharing them at Show & Tell.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. So helpful!!! Thank you! I just came across the "reply" problem the other day and I was worried because I didn't want to be rude and not thank a wonderful comment I received! I appreciate you sharing these tips! And I'm now your newest follower :))) Thanks again!
    x0x0 Jess
    {www.CraftyNonsenseNoted.com}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Καλημερουδια και καλό μηνα!
    σε περιμένει ένα βραβείο στο σπιτάκι μου, για κόπιασε!

    ReplyDelete
  20. καλο μηνα!εχεις ενα βραβειακι και απο εμενα πολλα φιλια!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will definately be using tip #4! Thanks, Olga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, you're a no-reply email yourself! If you see this message, pls change your profile so I can come back to you!

      Delete
  22. What a terrific tip! I'll have to get on this right away :0)

    Thanks so much for sharing at Pin'Inspiration Thursday, hope to see you pop by on Saturday to "Beat the Winter Blues". Have a fantastic end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for all the helpful hints including your comment on my Social Media post. I was wondering how to make a signature now i'm off to go make one. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ΠΟΛΥ ΩΡΑΙΑ!!!!!!
    ΟΛΓΑ ΜΟΥ ΚΑΛΟ ΜΗΝΑ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Olga , σκεφτομουν τωρα που ποσταρες αυτα τα tips ,αυτο με την livesignature εχεις κατι υποψιν σου αλλο?Με αλλη γραμματοσειρα ας πουμε?Well done !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tips. Happy you linked to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all your tips! Especially the no - reply. :)

    Ps.. thank you for linking up to my Friday parrr-tay!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a question for you. I followed your steps for changing my Favicon (thank you by the way!) and under the edit page it shows up as the image I chose/saved, but it's not showing up in my "bookmarks" list. It still shows as the boring ol' orange B. Any idea what's up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sent you the reply by email. As far as I know everything is good now! And your favicon looks great!

      Delete
  29. Thanks for sharing! Off to make a signature and figure out what I want for a favicon...

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh my gosh you are an angel for posting all of these tips! I have wondered SO many times... hmmm... I wonder how people do this or do that? and I just have to struggle and try to figure it out. Thank you so much for this post!

    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such great tips and as a new blogger I want you to know how much I appreciate you sharing these!! I will definitely be utilizing these this weekend - Thank you!

    Kelley

    http://KelleyWithAn-E-Y.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for the tips. I am a new follower from Frugal Friday.
    Laura
    http://www.imsovintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are some great tips. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These area very helpful tips! Thanks! Saw you on show and tell saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great tips!! Thanks for linking up! Just checking, did you see my Lisa Leonard giveaway yet?


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  36. great tips, however I don't understand the 1st one...where do you find the box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti sent you a reply by email! Let me know if you still get problem.

      Delete
  37. Put a link to this post on my blog

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/recap-of-week-4-of-5-weeks-of-kindness.html

    Thanks for sharing!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for taking the time to put this together-and for sharing it at Drab to Fab. You will enable some newbies to turn their blog from Drab to Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing, it's always nice to learn new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for letting me know! I thought I had fixed that, but its definitely fixed now! Email enabled!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for this! I had been wondering about switching to Chrome, I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party. You should add that as well...when you join a linky party you should make note of that in the post. It gets word out to other bloggers about a party they may want to join in. Most hosts like a visible link or button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are some great tips. And I am hoping that a lot of people will heed the advice. It makes me so sad when I go to reply to a comment and can't. And I hate when I enter a giveaway and it keeps taking me to a new website & I have to back my way up to the original post.

    Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your great!!! Know that! Thanks for all the help :)

    xoxo
    twentyfour7
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks Olga! Love the additional tips! You're a feature at my place! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks for the great tips. I've wondered about the favicon and signature. Found you at DebbieDoo's and am following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  47. GREAT tips!! Thanks SO much for sharing them at my linky party!! No-reply comments make me kind of sad. I wish I could reply to all comments directly!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks! So many good tips here. I am going to explore the signature site right now.

    ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love your helpful tips! Thanks for sharing. They really help.

    ReplyDelete
  50. So very helpful and you make it so clear. Thanks for posting these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Congratulations! You are a feature on our Pin'Inspiration party this week. Pop by and grab a button when you have a chance :0)

    ReplyDelete
  52. You were featured this week! Make sure you check it out tomorrow and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks for this information, I use Firefox and really like it. Your tips are always welcomed! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

    ReplyDelete
  54. okay, I put in my favicon. it was easy once I resized it as a square and 32x32 pixels. I saved it and it didn't work. i wonder why? I went out and the B for blogger is still there. Darn. Thanks for trying to help anyway. Linda

    twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Μιας και σε πετυχα. Που υπαρχουν καλες οδηγιες για να βαλεις παραπομπη "δες περισσοτερα" στις αναρτησεις. Το δοκιμασα με συμβουλες απο καποιο ελληνικο μπλογκ αλλα δεν πετυχε και δεν μπορω να βγαλω τη σημανση τωρα απο τις αναρτησεις (και η οποια φυσικα δεν λειτουργει)

    ReplyDelete
  56. When I put the signature on it shows up on the top of the post where you write your post, if figured it would be at the bottom. And I've tried to drag in to the bottom of the page and I can't so I end up copying and pasting it to the bottom. What did I do wrong? Natalie at Bridget's Daughter http://bridgetsdaughter5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your web site to check out the latest stuff you post.
    cheap leather beds

    ReplyDelete
  58. hi olga, thank you again for the tutorials! huggs, sunny109

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thanks for the icon tip!

    www.onedogwoof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  60. Just love it when fellow bloggers share what they know. Thanks for this series.

    ReplyDelete
  61. You are a blessing!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!! Sure helps us newbies!!!
    Hugs!
    Kristy
    Kristyscupofjo@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. Love your blog! I am a new follower and plan on checking in often to see what else I can learn...Just created my live signature with your help~ Merci! Please visit my blog and enter my "french" giveaway! XoXo Pam

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments keep me going! Feel free to share them!
However, I reserve the right to delete all anonymous comments and restrict comments that are irrelevant to the article, contain profanity or lack respect, personal attacks or those that seek to promote a personal or unrelated business.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Icon Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

spice up your blog
Pin It button on image hover