DIY: Welcome Mat (by Thrifty Crafty Girl)

Hi there, Stardust readers! I'm so thrilled to be Olga's guest here today!  I'm Priscilla and I blog 
over at Thrifty Crafty Girl.  I craft and decorate on a budget and I try to make you giggle a little too.  
Let me show you what I have for you today!
This welcome mat project starts with a little wood, some shelf liner and some river rocks.  How
much of those things depends on how big you would like your mat... I made mine EXTREMELY 
BIG, which I regretted halfway through.  Now that it's done, I love it!

Grab some shelf liner and river rocks.

Cut your wood and shelf liner to the size you want your mat.
Use some hot glue to attach the shelf liner to the wood (you'll be gluing a lot for this project, 
so just a  little to hold the mat in place will be fine.).
You are ready to start gluing your rocks down.  Dump out your river rocks and put them 
together on the mat, sort of like a puzzle.
Start gluing the bottoms of the rocks to the shelf liner.  Press down so the glue hits the wood 
beneath!  I started at a corner and worked my way around...
Glue them tightly together... look at them, all packed in there together.  They're best friends, I tell you.  
I must warn you to be careful with your glue gun.  When you're gluing the little rocks, they might fall 
from your hands.  Your instinct will be to grab the falling rock.  Don't.
Glue wounds.
Once you're done, trim the edges of the mat, if there are any left over.
You are finished!
This was definitely a labor of love... I hope you make one!

Thrifty Crafty Girl
**********************************************************
Love this mat! However, I come to understand that Priscilla is a very humble girl, since 
she doesn't mention any of her other creations, which I'm telling you, they rock!
So take a tour at her blog and check out her amazing wall art made of ... toilet paper (!),
the fabric covered roller shade, the under the bed storage she and her hubby has created
and many more. Keep her name in mind...this girl has a bright future in the blogosphere!
Photobucket 
Thanks for Making This Possible! Spread The Word!

11 comments:

  1. really neat!! Also, thanks Olga for your list of link parties! It is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one really beautiful looking mat. I can imagine using the same technique to decorate many different kinds of things around the house -- what a versatile idea! Thanks for bringing it to us and thanks so much to the originator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. πολύ καλή ιδέα!!!!!!!
    φιλιά Ολγα μου καλή υπομονή με τη ζέστη στην Αθήνα.
    εδώ είναι λίγο χαμηλότερη η θερμοκρασία, πολύ λίγο όμως.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice and easy idea!!! Thanks for sharing Priscilla!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so very clever! I like the look of it. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a great idea - I'd love my whole bathroom floor to look like this !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful quote. I hope you are doing wonderfully sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, totally thought I just posted on your weekend quote post. Love this DIY guest post as well, very creative! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what an awesome mat, must have taken her ages but it really does look amazing. She should enter our competition http://www.personalisedmatsdirect.co.uk/gallery we host it every month to celebrate quirky door mat ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments keep me going! Feel free to share them!
However, I reserve the right to delete all anonymous comments and restrict comments that are irrelevant to the article, contain profanity or lack respect, personal attacks or those that seek to promote a personal or unrelated business.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Icon Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

spice up your blog
Pin It button on image hover